LifeWithMyDogs is supported by our audience. When you purchase through one of our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your cost is not affected.
Why would you need a device like the TP-Link Tapo 2K camera for your dog?
Do you have a dog? Well, I do and if you’re like me, you love your furry friend to the moon and back. But what happens when you have to leave them at home all day long while you’re at work? That’s where the TP-Link Tapo 2K comes in! This top-of-the-line dog camera not only lets me see what my pup is up to, but it also records her shenanigans so I can watch them later! If you’re on the market for a dog camera, then read on for my review of the TP-Link Tapo 2K!
Do You Have a Dog Camera? TP-Link Tapo 2K Review
Those of us with furkids know how difficult it is to leave them alone at home. Whether you go every day to work or just out for a family night outing, leaving your dog or cat alone might cause you concern. But you don’t have to worry if you can keep watch over your pet. The TP-Link Tapo 2 camera offers the ability to watch your pet while you are away. It even has two-way audio so you can talk to your pet!
What does the TP-Link Tapo camera do?
It seems trite to say that this camera offers you peace of mind. But it does. And it helps your pet, too.
First, let’s look at the specs.
- 2K High definition offers you the ability to see your pet clearly. You can see the details of your pet, including what he has just picked up into his mouth. (Yes, that was a safe chew toy this time!)
- The Pan/Tilt function allows you to see around the entire room. It offers 360° horizontal and 114° vertical range for the field of view. Pretty impressive! Of course, if any objects are in the way, it won’t see around them, so check out the viewing area when you set up the camera.
- Use it locally or add a 256GB microSD card to record video. The secure cloud storage saves your videos for up to 30 days. It also provides motion tracking and noise detection for even better control.
- The TP-Link Tapo camera is fully compatible with both Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant with simple voice commands.
- Use with your smartphone app to view your pet when away from home.
- The app also allows you to speak to your pet via 2-way audio which can offer a truly calming effect for your pet.
- Night vision up to 30 feet! Yes, even in the dark, the integrated IR system offers good night vision. We like to keep our room lights dim to calm our pets and this function helps ensure we can still view our dogs, even with the lights dimmed.
- Use your WiFi camera for viewing but the TP-Link Tapo 2K camera also allows for a second person with their own phone to check in on the pets.
Why We Like the TP-Link Tapo 2K Camera
- Full functional features that work well
- Easy to set up and use
- 2K for crisp viewing
- Good price-point for the features
In short, this camera does what we need and at a very reasonable price. We could have chosen a more expensive model but this one delivers all we could want. (Ok, it won’t walk the dog for us!)
What we Don’t Like
We tried to find something to not like about this camera. In fact, we asked others who are using it, too. Honestly, it’s a good camera at a good price. We highly recommend it!
Our Recent Experience
One of our dogs had an upset stomach on the same day we were to be meeting with our family for a birthday dinner out. While the vet didn’t think it was serious, we considered having one person stay home, just to make sure. And had we not had a good solution, we certainly would have made that choice. However, we didn’t need to. We had a dog security camera!
The furkid was set up in her comfortable crate with its plush dog mat. We ensured the camera was within a good range. She seemed content and so we left.
Watching her on our smartphone throughout the meal was easy and put everyone’s mind at ease. In fact, she slept the entire time we were gone. Without the camera, we would not have known how comfortable and safe she was.
As a result,
We are adding 2 more cameras to watch other areas with our pets. Not only does the camera make us feel more confident when we need to be away, they provide a way to share with others, too!
NOTE: We don’t always crate all of our dogs, but some do better in their safe dens. For another take on crating, check out this AKC article.
Should You Invest in a TP-Link Tapo 2K camera?
Ultimately, the choice is yours. However, at this price point, I do recommend the camera set up for anyone with a pet. Even if you have in-home pet care set up with a service, it allows you to watch over your pets. What a small price for peace of mind!